What are the Signs of Rodent Infestation?
Types Of Rodents
About 40% are rodents of mammals. Knowing about continuous growing of incisor pair at both upper as well as lower portion of mouth. Most common of them having important impact on human life are;
Norway Rat: The most common rat of human occupied areas mostly feed on nuts but omnivores, also named as swear rat, common rat, brown rat
Roof Rat: Also named black or ship rat & omnivores behavior grouped this most common pest for farmers due to staying at farms and feed a wide range of crops.
House mouse/ mice: It is very small in size and feed mostly plant matters but also omnivores. They may also know laboratory mouse or domestic
Characteristics & Identification:
- Body length is more than tail
- Body is thick & heavy
- Smaller ear & eyes as relevance of body
- Nose shape is blunt
- Droppings with round ends
- Shy to new things
- Body length is shorter than tail
- Body is slender & light
- Larger eyes & ears
- Nose shape is pointed
- Droppings with pointed ends
- Shy to new things
- Small body size
- Larger ear & eyes.
- Droppings size also smaller & shape is pointed.
- Curiosity to new things.
Habitat & signs of infestation
They are found all over globe expect Antarctica. Most common places as harborage area for their hide outs or to grow;
- Drains/swears lines
- Building foundations
- Grassy plots/lawns
- Garbage collecting points
- Places of collecting waste goods
- Under caravans in labor camps
They are nocturnal & neophobic very shy to new things so, one adult rat visual means lot of there. To identify their presence some signs;
- Droppings: Droppings of rats scatter around their walk through & hideouts
- Tracks: Due to neophobic behavior mostly use the same track for walk or searching food so their footprints can be marked in early morning before any trafficking.
- Smear: Their body excretes some grease like fluid that sticks to their tracks
- Gnawing: Due to continuous growth in incisors they have to chew continuously, so they chew like wooden bodies etc.
- Burrowing: They make burrows for hide & reproduction
- Damage property: They can damage different property goods like wires, furniture, edible items, cloths etc.
- Adult rat: visual of adult one means there are more
- Urine by UV: ULV can be used to detect their urine
Various IPM techniques may use according to situation;
Environmental Control: It may account a large decrease to rat population by removing or replacing garbage, waste lumbers, goods from store, regular cleaning of lawn and garden area.
Physical Control:Different traps and bait stations can be used, also destroy burrows by filling them, if there is any hole to serve them as entry point make sure to close because only led pencil diameter size enough for entry.
Chemical Control: MBS (multi bait station) can be used to put chemical pasta or blocks for chemical control. Also, fumigation can be applied to open places like farms inside their burrows.
Effect on humans:
- Their droppings can cause of different allergies and diseases like salmonella.
- They can be vector of different disease organisms like hantavirus, gondii, toxoplasma, listeria, Weil’s disease & leptospirosis etc. by scattering them through urine and feces.
- They can be cause of great structural & property damage by gnawing wooden structures as well as wires and gas pipes.
If you are searching rodent pest control services than Golden Touch help you. We are the best and Dubai municipality approved company that serve affordable pest control services in Abu Dhabi since 1985. For more details call our experts: +971 582593657 / +971 2 6506766