Pre Construction Anti Termite Treatments
Why Termite Control is Important in New Construction?
Wood is one of the most important materials while constructing a house. And where there is wood, there is bound to be termites if no precautions are taken. Termites cause severe damage to wood, leading to structural destruction. It is important to apply anti-termite chemicals to all the materials during different stages of construction. Otherwise, it could cost dearly later as prevention is less costly than the cost it might incur later. Termites incur approximately $5 Billion in damage yearly which is not covered by insurance companies.
Ways to Prevent Termites During Construction
Here’s a list of pre-construction anti-termite treatment Abu Dhabi that can be used to prevent Termites;
- Soil-based Termiticides : These chemicals create a protective barrier under and around the house, the piers on which the foundation stands, the crawlspaces. This barrier would prevent the foraging termites from entering the foundation and later to the wooden structures.
- Termite Baits: These chemicals create a protective barrier under and around the house, the piers on which the foundation stands, the crawlspaces. This barrier would prevent the foraging termites from entering the foundation and later to the wooden structures.
- Wood Treatment: Another alternative to soil treatment is to treat the important wooden structures with chemicals that will prevent termite infestations. According to the manufacturers, the only approved chemical for this is Disodium Octoborate tetrahydrate. As per the researchers, termites won’t feed on or nest on borate-treated woods. It is important to understand that this treatment will only prevent termites from making mud tunnels on the walls of the foundation.
- Stainless Steel Mesh: Stainless steel mesh is wrapped around the foundation, posts, pipes to prevent termites from entering. The apparatus of 0.66 × 0.45 mm is too small for termites to enter. This could be used as an alternative to the more classic approaches such as soil or wood treatments.
- Other Barrier Treatments: There are still many systems in the development phase on how to treat and prevent termites. But some tested materials are easily available which can help. Like sand or stone. It is observed that a layer of sand with uniform-sized particles of 16-grit can prevent termites. The sand grains are too large for termites to move by mandibles yet too small for termites to crawl through and build tunnels. It is understood that termites still might breach the barrier so a routine inspection is mandatory. People interested in a non-chemical approach can avail this solution.
Also, a layer of finely graded stone particles under newly-constructed concrete floors or around the foundation footers can solve termite problems. Again the stone is too heavy for the termites to shift or too hard to dissolve from their saliva.
The methods explained above seem easy to read but not so much when it’s done in practice. It is better to call in the experts to do the heavy lifting in these cases. When it comes to termite control in Abu Dhabi, Golden Touch is one of the best to provide you with genuine solutions.